Wednesday, September 24, 2008

This Morning

This morning I dropped the two big boys off at school and headed to town to drop Jack off. We were almost in town and in the middle of the road was a fox (or maybe a coyote) that had been hit by a car. Right when we got upon it, it lifted it's little head up and looked straight at me. OMG, it really stressed me out. Knowing that thing was injured and couldn't move. For a second (and let me say only a second) I debated on going back and dragging it out of the road. But then I found my mind again and decided that would not be very smart. But apparently someone thought it was okay or either it wasn't hurt as bad as I thought because in the 15 minutes or so it took me to drop Jack off, the thing disappeared. I even turned around to see if it was on the side of the road somewhere. I have a strange feeling someone picked it up. What do you do with an injured wild animal? I hope they called an animal rescuer or knew what they were doing. Anyway, that image is burned into my brain today. Now aren't ya'll glad I shared that with you?!

6 comments:

Southerner said...

When we were in FL I was going down the road and a Pit Bull dog came from nowhere and ran out in front of me. It was one of those moments where I saw the dog coming and I looked to see if I could change lanes and there was a car so all I could do was slam on brakes and hit him. I still have images as clear as day of exactly what postition the dog was in and then he flipped a couple of times and landed in the lane to the left of me. I called for the police to get animal control and to report that I had been the one to hit him. I rode home because I was shaking and on the front of our Yukon there are hooks and it had flesh on it. It was so gross! It still makes me sick.

Michelle said...

thats terrible...even though you did the right thing by not stopping...I would hate to carry that picture all day...

Windy said...

Sorry you will have that image all day - I'm just glad you didn't get out and that you didn't have your two older ones - they would have wanted to get out! We have 4 coyotes that live somewhere in our neighborhood and walk around in our yards during the day - they look like big gray dogs.
PS I hate I missed the bikini version of your avtar!

Anonymous said...

Oh Tami - that makes me sad! You did right by not stopping - that could have been really bad!

Maybe he was just dazed!

casey said...

last year, right infront of my house (i live in a small subdivision), the sheriff, who lives across the street, was in the road with a shotgun. About 15 feet from him, also in the middle of the road, was a beautiful red fox, having a seizure and foaming at the mouth. Officer said he had rabies, and another one had gotten away. He was waiting for the next seizure so he could shoot him, and he did, and i watched. I have some of it on video. yeah, i'm disturbed, but it was really really sad :( One time I cried on the interstate b/c a momma duck was making her ducklings cross the road during rushhour, and a few had gotten hit and squished. she was going nuts. the guy infront of me stopped and helped her cross back over into the grass, b/c the middle of the interstate had jersey barriers. it was so sad

Stephanie said...

That sounds so like me! I can't stand to see animals in or on the side of the roadway.

Sorry you had to see that picture all day though!