Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Random Thoughts About Worship

Sunday, I sat in church listening to the preacher (talking about lying, btw) and the music. My mind started to wander. I started thinking about how God works. As I looked around the room (and it is a big room), I begin to think how different most of the people are in that room. On the front row, sat an African American couple with several children. Two rows behind them, was a Mexican couple. On the other side of the church, sat several rows of teenagers some in "normal clothes" and some wearing what is known around here as "goth". As I continued to look, I saw men with piercings, women with tattoos, several with spiked mohawks, and a lot of people that look a lot like me. But even though we are different on the outside, the one thing we all had in common was the desire to worship. It is so awesome to me how God made everyone different but we are all here for one purpose. As the service closed and we begin to sing the last song, I looked around one last time and watched as people begin to sing, dance, and lift hands in praise. I think this is what God intended. God equips us through our experiences, lifestyles, and personalities. Isn't it great to be in the room where there are so many differences but so many people are coming together for one reason. Just to worship!

4 comments:

j said...

A wonderful post. How wonderful to worship with people from all walks of life.

Glad to hear from you today. There is a peach in Alabama as well that we pass when we travel. I read your profile (SC right?).

I hope that you have a lovely day tomorrow.

Jen

Windy said...

That was a wonderful post from a Southern Girl:) I said that because everyone thinks we are so "backward" here, ya know!

Unknown said...

You're so right. I wonder what it looks like to God.

Julie said...

Just wondering since I'm in your general area, which church do you attend? No real reason...just being nosey :-)
Julie