Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Tonsils and Tornados

WE ARE HOME! Thank goodness! Jack went in to have his tonsils removed (after much sickness). He was a little scared but he was a real trooper. It was a long day. It takes careful planning to coordinate schedules when one parent is missing in action. We woke up to much needed rain and headed out about 6:45am.When we arrived we were carried to his "holding" room, where he slipped on everybody's favorite hospital attire, the open backed gown.

We immediately found something for our "Redneck Viewing Pleasure".
(And Jack even knew the names of the trucks: Grave Digger, Bounty Hunter, Superman, you get the picture).
Jack was getting a little ancy so he started climbing the walls (literally)!

So after waiting and watching, he was rolled back to the Operating Room where one of my best friend's, Cindy, was waiting on him. He was in surgery for about 45 minutes and in recovery for about an hour. They took him to his room about 10:45 and that is where the fun began. The throw up. For those of you who don't know me, I don't do throw up. That is my husband's department. But yesterday, I had to.
This is what Jack looked like most of the day.
He wouldn't let us move the bed pan from beside his face. How comfortable do you think that is? (Actually, the vomit was not near as bad as being at home. I always had someone to come help clean up. And since he had no food, it was mostly blood and mucus. Isn't that a pleasant thought?).
Around 2:30, the nurse opened the door and said, "A code gray has been issued (which means there is a tornado warning) and we have to move everyone out in the hall." So instead of moving the whole bed, she just moved a chair and asked me to hold Jack. When we reached the hall dragging Jack's blanket (another post in and of itself), bed pan, cell phone, and all the IV equipment, he immediately vomits all over the floor. Thank God for the nurse walking down the hall at that time! So they figured out we at least needed a recliner. So until 4:40, we were in the hall. (A tornado did touch down in our county but not close to the hospital.)
Finally at about 9:30pm, the nurse gave him Phenergan and the rest of the night was great. He slept better than he does at home. At 4am this morning, the nurse came in to check on him and woke him up. He was wide awake for the rest of the night.
We lounged on the hospital bed and watched cartoons until the doctor came in at 7:30.
We ate breakfast, he was given Tylenol with Codeine and a dose of his antibiotic and off we went.
I think the itty bitty wheel chair is great.

We stopped at the pharmacy and he was a bundle of activity.
They gave him lollipops and off we went to spend the rest of the day relaxing. What is he doing now? Why, watching Spongebob, of course! Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers.


Baseballs and Tutu's said...

Oh I feel for you. We did tonsils with Lucas almost 5 years ago and it was a nightmare. I don't believe I will ever do those again unless absolutely necessary. I didn't see your last post until just now....we did the old navy thing saturday there at 9:08 and almost all kids jeans were gone. I was somehow lucky enough to get two for each of my boys but shelves were bare. Cashier said when she got there at 8 they were lined up out the door...reminded me of Black Friday. Glad everyones feeling better around lots of popsicles :)

Southerner said...

Glad all went well and he hopefully will not have so many sore throats. Praying for a quick recovery- kids are always amazing!

blessedwith5 said...

I hope your little guy is feeling better!

No - the pillow does not help to ease the pain of laughter - I agree with you!


Windy said...

Glad he's okay. Been praying for you guys. Thanks for the feed back on the GNC, will let the ones in charge know what you said.

Jeanette said...

Our two girls had their tonsils out at the same time - it was loads of fun!! They did not have to spend the night in the hospital though. Just a little motherly advise - make sure you get calls to the doctor if something does not seem right! Momma usually knows best.


Anonymous said...

Still thinking of you today. Hope all is going well. Hugs and kisses to all. Love GS

The Ice House said...

Glad your little one is feeling better. My son had his out last July at St. Francis and it was the BEST thing we ever did. He had strep 7 times in the year before having it done. Last year... ZERO!!!

I saw your comment on "Mills Musings" blog about the Flowers Bread Store on White Horse Rd. I actually told her about it and thought I'd answer your question.

The bread trucks come back in from their deliveries in the afternoon. 2:00 is a pretty good time to stop by. They unload their just expired bread into buggies in the back. It's a mix of all kinds of items. When you go in, you have to ask one of the workers for a $3 or $5 buggy of bread. They do not have them on Wednesdays. While the bread on the shelves are priced similar to the grocery store, they do have a $0.49 table in the corner by the door where they put close to expired items. I hope this helps!

It's nice to find another SC Upstate blogger out there! I'll stop by often :-)